The Ministry of Works and the Development of Souvenir Guides from 1955

Gill, David W. J. (2018) The Ministry of Works and the Development of Souvenir Guides from 1955. Public Archaeology, 16 (3-4). pp. 132-154. ISSN 1465-5187

[img]
Preview
PDF (Accepted_Manuscript) - Submitted Version
Download (226kB) | Preview

Abstract

The first formal guidebooks for historic sites placed in state guardianship in the United Kingdom appeared in 1917. There was an expansion of the series in the 1930s and 1950s. However, from the late 1950s the Ministry of Works, and later the Ministry of Public Buildings and Works, started to produce an additional series of illustrated souvenir guides. One distinct group covered Royal Palaces: the Tower of London, Hampton Court Palace, Queen Victoria's residence of Osborne House on the Isle of Wight, and Holyroodhouse in Edin-burgh. This was followed by guides for archaeological sites such as Stone-henge and Avebury, the Neolithic flint mines at Grime's Graves, the Roman villa at Lullingstone, and Hadrian's Wall. In 1961, a series of guides, with covers designed by Kyffin Williams, was produced for the English castles constructed in North Wales. These illustrated guides, some with colour, prepared the way for the fully designed guides now produced by English Heritage, Cadw, and Historic Environment Scotland.

Item Type: Article
Uncontrolled Keywords: guidebooks,heritage interpretation,royal palaces,state heritage,state guardianship
Depositing User: LivePure Connector
Date Deposited: 28 Aug 2020 23:57
Last Modified: 18 Oct 2020 00:01
URI: https://ueaeprints.uea.ac.uk/id/eprint/76703
DOI: 10.1080/14655187.2017.1484584

Actions (login required)

View Item View Item