Ultrafast ligand binding dynamics in the active site of native bacterial nitric oxide reductase

Kapetanaki, Sofia M., Field, Sarah J., Hughes, Ross J. L., Watmough, Nicholas J., Liebl, Ursula and Vos, Marten H. (2008) Ultrafast ligand binding dynamics in the active site of native bacterial nitric oxide reductase. Biochimica et Biophysica Acta - Bioenergetics, 1777 (7-8). pp. 919-924.

Full text not available from this repository.


The active site of nitric oxide reductase from Paracoccus denitrificans contains heme and non-heme iron and is evolutionarily related to heme-copper oxidases. The CO and NO dynamics in the active site were investigated using ultrafast transient absorption spectroscopy. We find that, upon photodissociation from the active site heme, 20% of the CO rebinds in 170 ps, suggesting that not all the CO transiently binds to the non-heme iron. The remaining 80% does not rebind within 4 ns and likely migrates out of the active site without transient binding to the non-heme iron. Rebinding of NO to ferrous heme takes place in ~ 13 ps. Our results reveal that heme-ligand recombination in this enzyme is considerably faster than in heme-copper oxidases and are consistent with a more confined configuration of the active site.

Item Type: Article
Faculty \ School: Faculty of Science > School of Biological Sciences
UEA Research Groups: Faculty of Science > Research Groups > Molecular Microbiology
Faculty of Science > Research Centres > Centre for Molecular and Structural Biochemistry
Depositing User: EPrints Services
Date Deposited: 01 Oct 2010 13:36
Last Modified: 10 Jan 2024 01:22
URI: https://ueaeprints.uea.ac.uk/id/eprint/299
DOI: 10.1016/j.bbabio.2008.03.012

Actions (login required)

View Item View Item